10 Things I’ve Learned in Haiti
Hopefully each of you guys read this post that Jess made last week about some things that she has seen here that we never thought we would see. If you have not, you should click the link and read it, it is very interesting, funny, and sad at the same time. Anyway, with that said, I wanted to write about some things that I have learned since being here. I hope that GOD is always teaching each of us, but I have noticed it is quite different living in a different country with a completely different culture. Some of my thinking has been turned upside down, and doing business here just seems plain out weird sometimes, but we are definitely where we are supposed to be. Anyway, here are some things that I have learned so far:
10. I desperately need to learn Creole.
9. I am a big “time” guy. What I mean is that I hate being late, and I am very much ruled by the clock when meetings are scheduled, food is supposed to be served, etc. This is something that I must change about myself here.
8. There is always something to do here, and we could easily overwhelm ourselves by never taking a day off.
7. The school system in Haiti leaves much to be desired (even though our children are in one of the best schools in the country).
6. We have some awesome people in Haiti that we can trust to help us figure out some of the things that we need to know…Thanks to Herold Guillaume especially!
5. Christianville (where we stay is an invaluable resource for us and have already been an incredible help to us so far.
4. GOD has definitely led us here and has given me a love for this nation.
3. He has also given us this deep compassion and love for the children of All Things New Orphanage.
2. I love my wife more than I even knew and I couldn’t do it without her.
1. I love GOD more than I could ever imagine and I will never get tired of hearing about and celebrating what He did for us on the Cross.
There is so much more that we are learning spiritually, emotionally, practically, and every other type of way you could think of. I truly can’t wait to see what GOD does in the future in and through this ministry. Please continue to pray for us whenever you think of us, it is truly the only way that this ministry will continue to grow and thrive.